Poets and Authors
Rasmussen, © 2004, All rights reserved.
There are many Authors and Poets who offer a wide range of stories like fairy tales, mysteries, adventures, etc. These books and poems can be further classified as per the age groups of children.
Some of them are listed below:
- J. K. Rowling - The author of Harry Potter series, which now features as movies, has won the Hugo Award, the Bram Stoker Award, the Whitbread Award for Best Children's Book, a special commendation for the Anne Spencer Lindbergh Prize, and a special certificate for being a three-year winner of the Smarties Prize, as well as many other honors.
- Louisa May Alcott - Her famous works include Little Women, Little Men, Flower Fables.
- Enid Blyton - Her famous works include Famous Five series, Secret Seven series, Mallory towers and other adventurous books for young children.
- Lewis Carroll - He has created fairy tales like Alice in Wonderland, Alice's adventures underground which are suitable for first and second grade children. Poems like Jabberwocky and Through the Looking Glass are some of his most popular and loved creations.
- Joan Irvine - She is the author of children's pop-up books and children often address her as the Pop up Lady.
- Robin Jarvis - The British children's fantasy author and illustrator whose work includes The Deptford Mice and Tales from the Wyrd Museum.
- Emily Rodda - The author of picture books and novels for young readers has written famous novels like Rowan of Rin and the Fairy Realm series.
- Mark Twain - He has written adventurous novels like Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer which are suitable for children in fifth grade and above.
- Michael R. Strickland - He has written poems That Sing to You, Families: Poems Celebrating the African American Experience, African American Poets, My Own Song and Other Poems.
- Robert Louis Stevenson - His famous work includes "The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", adventurous books like Treasure Island, Kidnapped and many famous poems.
- Rudyard Kipling - He has penned the famous "The Jungle Book" and also many short stories as well as poems.
- Johanna Spyri - "Heidi" is a delightful story for children of life in the Alps, one of many tales written by the Swiss authoress.
- Tales From Shakespeare - third grade stories for children by Charles and Mary Lamb.
- Anna Sewell - She was not a prolific writer, and has written only one book "Sleeping Beauty", but the story is extremely influential as pro-animal propaganda and is exciting and moving children's story.
- Jules Verne - He wrote adventurous books like Around the World in 80 Days, 20,000 leagues under the sea, From the Earth to the Moon, The Mysterious Island.
Copyright 2001, 2004. All rights reserved. Any reproduction of this article in whole or in part without written or verbal permission is strictly prohibited. For information about reprinting this article, contact the copyright owner: Vanessa Rasmussen, Ph.D, Starting a Day Care Center, http://www.startingadaycarecenter.com.